January 01, 2007

Living Wise Among The Foolish

I was a simpleton if ever there was one: young and naïve in the ways of the world, and gullible. All I knew was that I was a poor college student, and that there was gold in them thar hills, black gold, oil that is, Texas tea. Go west, young man, they said, Oklahoma’s the place you ought to be. All you need is a hard-hat and steel-toed boots and you’ll make a fortune. So I hocked my guitar, got me a hat and boots, loaded up the car, and headed west, without a map. Have you ever tried that? Every couple of hours you stop to ask, “Which way to Oklahoma?” Then it was, “Which way to the oil?” After seeing half the state of Oklahoma, I finally ended up an oil rig in the panhandle of Texas. I worked one day before running back home to Michigan. And I didn’t even get paid. Well, it’s a long story, of course, but suffice it to say the wild wild west is still very much alive and well, and they don’t call them roughnecks and worms for nothing!
Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment