June 06, 2016

Gen. 1-2: Visions of the Good Life, Part 1

This is part 1 of 2 sermons. Here's a link to part 2.

This morning you see something you don’t see very often: I come with notes, which means I’m in teaching mode rather than preaching mode. Typically my sermon research yields 20-30 pages of notes, and I happen to preach 20-30 minutes. For this sermon I have 93 pages of notes—and that’s the bad news! But the good news is I’ve split the sermon into two parts, so we’ll be here only 45 minutes today! Okay, okay, I’ll talk fast.

“Where did we come from, and how did we get here?” little Jimmy wanted to know. “Oh my!” said mom, who wasn’t quite ready to deal with this question so soon, but did her best to deliver the birds-and-bees talk. “Wow!” responded Jimmy wide-eyed. “Johnny said he’s from Indiana and got here by airplane. Wait’ll he hears this!”

Where did we come from? How did we get here? Why are we here? These are the ultimate questions of life, and a good place to begin searching for answers is in the Book of Beginnings, Genesis. Today’s sermon is part one of what I’ve entitled Visions of the Good Life.
Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment